Friday, October 9, 2009

Paying It Forward...

While being treated at the Sutter Roseville In-patient Rehab facility I was asked if I would be willing to take part in their new ad campaign to help show that stroke or TBI's are not geriatric specific and that they can (and do) treat people of all ages. Most 26 year old women with a shaved head for the first time, trying to find their left side again would not ever allow the public to see them this vulnerable let alone have it documented and used for advertising purposes... I however was gifted this second chance. My social worker at the hospital, neurosurgeon and trauma nurses went to bat for me, advocating for me to be accepted as a charity case...in February. At the beginning of a very long year they fought to have the hundreds of thousands that my crainiotomy and rehab would cost, written off. I had no health insurance which is why I waited so long to go to the hospital in the first place, ultimately making my bleed that much more dangerous and life threatening. How do you payback a miraculous second chance at the life you were barreling through and taking for ganted?... You say yes to the photos, you pay it forward any and every way you can. I found my first photo on their site today... (I'm at the very bottom of the page) http://www.sutterroseville.org/rehab/experience/expect/

No comments:

Post a Comment